Understanding the Fundamentals of Coal Trading Class
Course participants will learn the basics of coal trading: the traded coal products; the types of trading instruments (forward contracts, swaps, options, basis trades), identifying and managing risk; understanding forward curves, and establishing a trading function in your organization. The class will be held September 18-19 in St. Louis, MO, at the following times:
- September 18, 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. (with a reception and dinner to follow)
- September 19, 7:45 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
The course includes these topics:
- coal commodities and trading platforms,
- hedging strategies for producers and generators,
- swaps and physical indexation,
- futures and options,
- time, quality, and location spreads,
- settlements process, and
- credit and contract language.
Schedule your arrival no later than 11 a.m. on September 18. Schedule your departure for 6:00 p.m. on September 19.
The registration fee for CTA Member Company participants is $250, and for CTA Nonmember participants $450. Not sure if your company is a CTA member? Click here. Class size is limited to the first 25 registrants. We will not be able to accommodate more participants, so register early.
The host hotel is the Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark. The special rate for the class is $139 a night.
Getting to the Hotel from the Airport
The hotel is accessible by Metrolink, a $3 train ride. Head east and exit and the 8th and Pine stop, a three-block walk to the hotel.