Understanding the Fundamentals of Coal Trading Class
What You’ll Learn in this Class
Course participants will learn the basics of coal trading:
- the traded coal products,
- the types of trading instruments (forward contracts, swaps, options, basis trades),
- identifying and managing risk,
- understanding forward curves, and
- establishing a trading function in your organization.
The class will be held September 17-18 in Atlanta, GA, at the following times:
- September 17, 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. (with a reception and dinner to follow)
- September 18, 7:45 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
The course includes these topics:
- coal commodities and trading platforms,
- hedging strategies for producers and generators,
- swaps and physical indexation,
- futures and options,
- time, quality, and location spreads,
- settlements process, and
- credit and contract language.
Dates for Booking Your Airline Reservation
Schedule your arrival no later than 11:00 a.m. on September 17. Schedule your departure for 6:00 p.m. on September 18.
The registration fee for CTA Member Company participants is $250, and for CTA Nonmember participants $450. Not sure if your company is a CTA member? Click here. Class size is limited to the first 25 registrants. We will not be able to accommodate more participants, so register early.
Getting to the Hotel from the Airport
The hotel is easily accessible by Marta, which costs $2,50 one way. At the airport, look for the station access at the end of baggage claim. Take the Northbound Line to North Springs. Get off at the Buckhead Station. Upon exiting the station, head South on Peachtree (turn right). The hotel will be one block on the left. If you’ve never been to this part of Atlanta, we strongly encourage you to take Marta, which is much less expensive and much faster than a taxi would be.
Participants may cancel by September 6 and receive a full refund, and by September 13 for a refund minus a $50 cancellation fee. Cancellations received after September 13 will not be honored, but substitutes are permitted.